Thursday, October 27, 2011

The Ugly Dorkling all grown up

       It turns out, I just recently got friends.  And by recently,  I mean within the last five years.  Growing up, my parents were incredibly strict- to put it mildly.  (My dad once paid me $100 not to go to the high school homecoming dance.  My curfew was 10pm on the weekends when I was 18 years old.  I was only allowed to listen to contemporary Christian music.  I hid Harry Potter books under my bed when I was in college so I wouldn't get in trouble for reading about magic- you get the idea.)

        FYI- this is not a boo hoo kind of a blog post. I find my unorthodox way of growing up akin to Ron Washington's vernacular.
"That's the way baseball go." 

        That's just how my life go. Those of you who know me, know that I am... a weirdo.   I have a melt down if I think I might get hungry in the near future.  I seriously lose my shit if -god forbid- I actually become hungry.  Also, I order people around like I was either royalty or a Persian cat in a past life.
Diet Coke!
         Let's just be honest, I am a freak show. Thus, in addition to stringent parents and lots of rules,  my history of friendlessness should surprise none of us.  I don't feel sorry about it, and neither should you.  It's just the fact of the matter.

        Now, we all need friends.  The obvious reason to have a friend or two is so you don't have to do crap by yourself all the time.  The main reason I am glad to have friends is so I don't end up like this...

        I also personally need friends who can tell me, "Stop making that face" or "Don't get that lesbian hair cut*" and the ever popular, "No you cannot say that out loud."

*You really screwed the pooch letting me get that haircut, Car

        But here I am in Seattle with great friends who have seen me through all sorts of life events- good and bad.  I guess what I am trying to say is, I haven't always had...peeps.  It feels good.  Thanks peeps.  


       

2 comments:

  1. To be fair, I DID tell you that my brother's girlfriend was afraid of you and to STOP MAKING THAT FACE. Yes? PS I totally loved the Chaco phase.

    And I totally love you.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete