Sunday, October 16, 2011

Leavenworth Oktoberfest

       As some of you know, this was the weekend of the Leavenworth half marathon.  I decided this should be my first big race because when running that far, beer, brats and lederhosen should be in close proximity.  It was a good decision; right off the bat I was a winner!  I finished in an okay sort of time, but i really had wanted to run about a 9 minute pace, and ended up doing a 10 minute pace.  I can't say I'm surprised, since that is about the pace I ran for my long runs during training.  The good news is, it's my PR since it is my only half marathon thus far.

it was a beautiful day!
        Don't worry.  The medal has a built in bottle opener.

        I am sure no one will be surprised to hear that it didn't take long to find my way to the beer garden after finishing.  Many beers, pretzels with cheese cups, and tubed meat items were had by all.  And thanks, Beerfest, for this photo opportunity:

 I'm the kid scratching my knee
        I wish the picture accurately portrayed how awesome this was.  You at least get the idea.  As the afternoon turned into evening, and everyone's judgement turned into slightly drunken tom-foolery, individuals would leave the table for one reason or another and return with random items purchased at the festival booths.  Our friend Mike was gone for about 45 minutes and returned with a miniature drinking boot.
So cute! You little beer baby!
        Eric left for a while and came back with my new favorite hat.
That's right, jagweeds! I'm turning you to stone.
        Aaaaand since I am now thirty, the night ended with us walking home on a dark highway at approximately 10pm.  I guess the highway part has nothing to do with my being thirty, but the evening ending at 10pm most certainly does.  Luckily, I chugged a Gatorade before and after all of the German beer, so I felt fantastic this morning when I woke up at our B&B, The Ponderosa Country Inn.  I pretended I was staying at Schrute Farms since we actually stayed in a barn.  The only thing missing was beets... and Dwight K. Schrute, obvi. 

        All right folks, my first half is out of the way.  Next stop: Edinburgh rock n roll half marathon!  And don't get any funny ideas, 13.1 miles at one go is my max.



 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment