Sunday, October 28, 2012

Monster Bash- in More Ways Than One

        I was getting ready to volunteer at a local kids Halloween festival called Monster Bash when it happened.  I guess I shouldn't have been surprised; I brought the pain on myself, but I have to say, I didn't see it coming.  I definitely punched myself in the face.  Hard.  More specifically, I punched myself in the mouth, and it really hurt.  I mean, I cut my lip, you guys.  My first thought was, "Man, it must have really hurt when Brad Pitt punched Edward Norton in 'Fight Club.'"  Why would anyone ever want to start a fight club?  Just because you have a Fight Club with yourself, doesn't make it any less painful... on so many levels.

The first rule about Fight Club is: you do not talk about Fight Club.

        Yeah yeah, we know.  The second rule about Fight Club is: you DO NOT talk about Fight club.  *Spoiler Alert* I just realized how perfect it is that my first thought after punching myself in the face pertained to a movie about two guys who were actually the same dude that created Fight Club...and soap.  I guess the soap part doesn't really apply in my personal situation.

       I had just finished a harrowing 8 mile run in the rain.  I may have just as well taken a dip in the Sound, I was so soaked afterward.  

Dumb.

        Anyway, I was getting dressed to go to Monster Bash when I realized that I own a pair of Jack Skellington leg warmers.  Because why wouldn't a self-respecting 31 year old woman own leg warmers featuring an animated Disney skeleton?  Exactly.  Plus, remember how I like Jack Skellington?

Totally grown up

        See, I was trying to incorporate the leg warmers into my outfit.  The only problem- well maybe not the only problem depending on who you ask- was that I wore jeans, so the leg warmers didn't work for their intended use.  The next obvious step was to pull them over my arms- duh.  I thought I could make them look like long sleeves under my t-shirt.  As I was pulling a warmer over my right arm, I slipped and gave myself a wicked left upper cut.  (Do you see the irony? I bashed myself in the face while getting ready to go to Monster Bash!)

Also easy to punch yourself playing Wii...just sayin'.

        I didn't end up wearing the leg/arm warmers at all.  Yeah, I punched myself in the face for no good reason.  Although, I can't say I can think of a great reason to ever punch oneself in the face.  Nevertheless, Monster Bash was fun, even without Jack Skellington.  Just in case you're wondering,  I ran the pumpkin painting station, which is a super important, premium job- obvi.  In retrospect, it was probably better to leave ol' Jack at home because pumpkin painting is a messy station.  It gave me a tic- that's how messy those little painters were.  Paint everywhere.  Hate it.

I didn't create this pumpkin, but some genius with an awesome name did.

        Whenever kids would sit down to paint pumpkins, they got adorable little orange aprons to cover their costumes, and then all hell would break loose on those poor gourds.  I would give each patron the following speech, "Listen kid, the first rule about pumpkin painting is: you do not talk about pumpkin painting.  The second rule about pumpkin painting is: you DO NOT talk about pumpkin painting."  Maybe we should have talked about it, though.  Those fools were horrible artists.  

        I'll try not to beat myself up about it.





No comments:

Post a Comment