Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Waaah Waaaah- Somebody Call the Waaaambulence!

        Finally, I have a clean balcony with a bar table and chairs.  I am sitting here right now looking down at my kingdom and all my minions.  This is amaze-balls.

No commoners allowed.


       Life isn't all tiled tables and fancy bar stools, though.  I just started running last week after having taken a three week hiatus (Eric and I both agreed I needed to start up again so no one would get murdered.) I went on three, appropriately spaced out, teeny tiny, baby runs.  The spot that I was worried about on my shin feels fine, but now there's a new spot.  It hurts to walk, and I did a poor man's bone scan (ie: jumping up and landing as hard as you can on the ground) because I find the doctor's office highly inconvenient. Bad news: if I were a radiologist reading my poor man's bone scan, the report would say, "Painful. Epic fail." BLERG.

These x rays belong to some random fool I found on the Internet with the help of Google- diagnosis and plan of care is found below.
Above a 24-year old runner with pain in his lower leg since four months.
Initially the pain was only present during running, but finally it was present even in rest.
The x-ray was initially reported as normal.
A bone-scan (not shown) showed a focal increase of activity.
A CT-scan was performed for further differentiation and revealed a vertically oriented fissure at the insertion of the flexor digitorum longus muscle.
The patient was treated with six weeks of rest, followed by a gradual increase in training-activity.

        Do you see?! That fool went to a doctor, and all the advice he got was to take six weeks off.  I could have told him that.  I would also like to point out that plain x-rays, a bone-scan, and a CT scan seems a little excessive - I bet the bill was excessive too.  That's what you get for going to a doctor.

        Besides, this could just be some kind of "-itis" (ie: tendonitis,) in which case, all I need to do is ice my leg. Would I tell a parent reporting similar symptoms in their child to, "Have Sally jump up and down really hard.  Does it hurt?  How bad?  Could be some kind of an '-itis.'  Have her ice it and cross your fingers."  I would never give someone the advice I am currently following from myself.  I'm pretty sure I've heard somewhere that nurses are the worst patients.


These guys are awful


         I know what you're thinking, "Oh you poor fancy balcony owner.  If I couldn't go for a run, I would be thrilled."  You're right.  At least I have my balcony, so I can wave at all my subjects.  What you may not understand is that if I can't run, the amount of times the phrase, "I want to stab somebody right now," comes out of my mouth becomes less and less infrequent.  As you might imagine, Eric gets a little jumpy.

        If you have ever been slightly or incredibly obsessed with an activity, you know how I feel.  I am quite certain if there was some kind inexplicable cable drought, and there was no NFL RedZone during football season, Eric would start feeling a little murderous too.  Imagine you missed a whole season of USC, Husky, or Green Bay Packer football.  Imagine you couldn't watch movies or go to concerts or sail your fabulous yacht.  Whatever your favorite hobby, or activity is that brings you great joy and mental stability, if you suddenly couldn't partake- wouldn't you feel... Am I the only one that gets stabby?

Don't let the google eye fool you- I see what's going on here ... as a side note, this is me tan. Sad,  isn't it.
        What is your "must-do" activity that keeps you from wanting to punch something or someone?

        How do you cope when you can't do said activity?

If a doctor ever tells you not to do this favorite activity- fire that fool.

        

No comments:

Post a Comment