Sunday, November 17, 2013

The End of an Era

        "Let me tell you something in all honesty.  Life is made up of eras, and you usually don't realize you've been in one until it's over.  It's the end of an era for you, but there will be another era."  This was the sage advice given to me after a couple of beers and perhaps a shot of Fireball by one of our pulmonary doctors.  He's a totally cool dude, and he was totally right.

This is me and my cousin, Molly Jo, with her husband in 2006
        As you can see from the picture at the beginning of the era, I was very excited to be here.  I don't think I have smiled that big since about 7 years ago.  This was before I became a true Seattle-ite and stopped smiling and saying hello to people.

This is how I look now. All the time.  When I'm happy.

        Seattle has been good to me.  I have met excellent friends.  I will not ever admit to having said this, but I also met the love of my life here.

Look how young E looks... and look how short my pigtails are.

        When Eric and I first met, I used to say, "We live in [expletive] Seattle!" every time we drove on I-5 south at night and I saw the Space Needle lit up.  And I have recently started thinking that again as I drive home from work.  It is actually quite awe-inspiring and beautiful.  (Oh, I forgot to warn you, this post may be sentimental...for me, that is.)

This is real.
        But there were several years where I didn't even notice the Space Needle like I should have.  I stopped thinking it was so amazing that it warranted an expletive.  I don't think it's the worst thing ever to have stopped noticing, but I kind of wish I hadn't let it lose the magic.  

         Sometimes it takes the end of an era to remind you of everything you have loved about it.


        I became a nurse here.

Scary face, right?  It was scary being a night nurse on SCCA.

         Being a nurse in Seattle has been so much more than a job to me.  It has been love, heartache, learning, teaching, friendship, and growing up.  I grew up here... Seriously.  (I mean, as much as it is possible for me to grow up.)  It is so interesting to me to look back and think about the people I met when I was a brand new RN, and see who has created a space in my life.  It is so intriguing to think about those relationships over 7 years ago, and wonder at the fact that I never could have known who would still be here, and who would be so important to me now.

ah memories!

Well, no shit!

Fine, I'll go.  But I'm not getting in the water.

Something was funny. I can hear Kate trying not to laugh right now.


I know, purple hat looks like she's running in underwear.  She doesn't give a shit, and that's why I love her.

I want to go to there.

         And then there are people who have been there all along.



siblings...excited as always.


She's been in every era since I was 18 years old.
        So here we are at the end of an era. 

My pigtails are longer
       
I have acquired a Kittles.
     
I have acquired a husband
       

I have acquired new philosophies
       
Um, hi. I ran a marathon.

        This last picture leads me to my next point.  Ironically, the first full marathon I ever ran turned out to be in the city that is taking me away from Seattle.  Portland is taking me away from this place where I became...well...me.  It's the friggin' end of an era, man.  I have never ended an era that I liked being in.

        I've ended eras to get away from lame boyfriends.  I've ended eras to gain independence.  I have ended eras to go snowboarding.  Never have I ended an era that I was perfectly happy in.

Felix after a perfect game (which was not on the date in the poster) seems to be the epitome of happiness

        I don't know how to leave a city I love. I don't know how to leave the friends I love.  I don't know how to leave the job I love. 

        All I can do is leave you with this...

LOVE.
        Thank you to everyone who has made this era great.  

(PS. don't hate me if there isn't a picture of you in this entry.  Lack of picture doesn't make you any less important.)









     










No comments:

Post a Comment