Monday, June 4, 2012

Welcome to Earth, you little Alien.

        Nothing like throwing a baby shower only to end up with a gigantic hangover the next day.  P.S. hot yoga does not cure hangovers- I would recommend avoiding this activity the morning after one too many drinks.

One time I went to  Disneyland when I was hungover- also not recommended.

        It's true, we did put on a pretty kick ass baby shower...as kick ass as a baby shower can get, I suppose.  We included alcohol - which was a little bit of a slap in the face to the guest of honor-  but every time I go to a baby shower, I think, "I could use a drink right now."  I especially think this at the showers where you have to guess which candy bar has been melted into a diaper to imitate baby poop.  There is nothing fun about baby poop, so when someone shoves fake baby poop in your face and calls it a game...well, you need a drink.

This is my "You're welcome for the baby shower, but if you ask me when I am having a baby I will cut you" face.


        We didn't really play any games- obvi.  The only sort of game was to get onesies and Emily had to guess who brought which item.  It may sound sort of terrible (and by terrible I mean awesome,) but I was several glasses of Prosecco in, so it seemed like a fine idea at the time.

This is what I got her.  Miniature bedazzled ice cream cone tank top? Yes please. 

        Also, the food was pre-tty good, if I do say so myself.  Carly and I had to haul balls to get it all together.  Luckily, I have a different friend who has more party decorations, bowls, and baskets than Crate and Barrel, so I borrowed a bunch of stuff from her that really classed it up.  You know me- always classy.  Okay, maybe 'sometimes classy' is more accurate?  You know what? I don't think we need to quantify it.

Um, yeah.  I made this.

Individual napkin and silverware baskets- that's how fancy I am.
Cute.  If you like that sort of thing. 

sign by Shan

Table by Holly


        If you know me a little bit, you might be surprised to find that I actually had fun doing this.  Only because I love Emily.   Fine, we had a four person SWAT team that made this happen. (Strong work Shandra, Holly and Carly.) Also, Carly is hilarious, and one of the only people who can get away with telling me to calm the f@&* down.  Let's be honest, I need that person.  We all need that person sometimes.

        Moral of the story: when life gives you pregnant friends, selflessly throw them baby showers so their family and friends compliment your fabulous cooking skills, and -more importantly- so you can pick the alcohol that pairs best with onesies.

       


Carly and I several years ago before we had to booze with a bunch of pregnant people and babies.
       



2 comments:

  1. To pull off such a great shower, prosecco in hand, is a great accomplishment and the two of you earned every compliment you heard about the food...more in fact. Next time, how about a pairing of Maker's and onesies? Shan (P.S. Severin, having had baby in-hand all day, decided to wander out on the back porch where he found what he thought were some helping hands or at least helpless victims who he could pawn the baby off on for a few minutes - Eric, Libby and Joe. When he asked if anyone would "like to" hold the baby, he just got stares and Libby said something about "one thing at a time!" He laughed because everyone acted like he had asked them when they were going to have their own kids and implied that if they just held his they would jump on it (in a manner of speaking). No, he just wanted to throw the frisbee for the dog for a few.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well that's awkward. Sorry no one would hold your baby so sev could hang out!

    ReplyDelete